Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Ouch. Part 1.

I named this Ouch. Part 1. because I know there will be more pain to come. But you know what they say, right? No pain, no gain. Well I must have made some progress, because I am so sore. The funny thing is, all I did was wog. Yes, wog (the root of the word wogging, meaning to walk and jog within the same workout). According to my CardioTrainer app I wogged 3.4 km in 38 minutes and burned 218 calories. And since km means nothing to me I had to use my ConvertPad app to calculate that into something I can better understand and it looks like 3.4 km is 2.11 miles (I should have kept it in km, it sounds better).

This was a good experiment because it shows me that I have a long way to go before I am in shape and feeling fit. I also learned an important lesson on my wog. I would like to preface my lesson learned with the fact that I am NOT a runner. I cannot think of a time when I enjoyed running. It has always been difficult and painful and unenjoyable and so I am coming from a rookie perspective which is probably why I am just figuring this out (at the ripe old age of 28). But my lesson was this...

There is a proper way to breathe while running!

So, to explain... when I started jogging I was breathing like normal and was giving no thought as to how. Well, after about 30 seconds my throat was on fire, I was out of breath and I just couldn't run anymore, it was so painful. Well, I had to walk it off a bit and when I started jogging again I concentrated on my breathing and I was breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. I also made sure I was controlling my breathing. It was NIGHT and DAY! It was so much easier to jog and much more comfortable! I wouldn't say that I loved it, but it made it possible for my to continue and was an invaluable lesson that would help me in my future wogging efforts.

Have a wonderful day and don't forget to breathe!
-Lizzy

No comments:

Post a Comment